Aloe Vera is one of the most favorite potted plants grown commonly in a tropical climate. The major health benefit of Aloe Vera is to treat the skin. The aloe vera stem is short and thick in nature where it stores all the water. The inside of the aloe stem i.e the juice or the use of aloe vera in skincare products.
Aloe Vera benefits the skin, hair, has antibacterial properties, and also vera gel is also known to treat constipation. A stem of this hard cactus family plant contains about 96% water, has vitamins A, B, C, and E and has abundant amino acids also with some organic and inorganic compounds.
Studies suggest that it is a perfectly healthy practice to consume aloe vera juice regularly. The benefits of aloe vera drink include treating constipation, acidity, gas, and digestive disorders. Aloe vera juice can be consumed with regular smoothies, juices or even a raw aloe vera juice will do.
Another important factor to note here is that aloe vera has to be taken along with other foods as a supplement as there are no foods that contain aloe vera nutrition.
Aloe Vera Nutrition Facts
- Minerals: The essentials minerals such as sodium, zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and copper that ensure the proper functioning of enzyme systems.
- Vitamins: The antioxidants present in vitamin A, C, and E that are found in aloe vera helps in neutralizing free radicals.
- Fatty acids: The anti-inflammatory properties and lupeol present in aloe vera make it one of the best antiseptic medicine.
- Enzymes: The enzymes present in aloe vera helps in reducing excessive inflammation caused by an injury. Benefits of aloe vera drink also include breaking down of sugars and fats.
Health Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera for Skin
Aloe Vera gel has anti-inflammatory properties which makes it one of the most effective and natural skincare products available. The rich anti-oxidants and minerals present in aloe vera help in healing wounds and injuries. Applying aloe vera gel directly on the skin makes it a good moisturizer and adds a protective layer to the skin.
The antibacterial properties present in aloe help it fight against the bacteria that are responsible for acne. The free radicals present in aloe vera acts as an anti-aging product, yet another major health benefit of aloe vera for skin.
Aloe vera gel acts as a natural cleanser i.e it can prevent and repair skin damage caused by skin burns, acne scars, dark spots, etc.
Aloe Vera for Weight Loss
The Laxative property present in aloe vera aids digestion, which in turn helps weight loss. When the human body has a proper and healthy digestive system, it retains the necessary nutrients, fats, and expells the excessive waste from the body.
The Vitamin B present in aloe vera burns fat and converts it into energy. It enables smoother and faster metabolism which makes aloe vera juice consumption a perfect aloe vera drink recipe for weight loss.
Another reason to use aloe vera juice for weight loss is its property to fight excessive water retention. The excess amount of water retained in the body results in weight gain. Consuming aloe vera juice in proper proportions aids weight loss.
Different methods to consume aloe vera for weight loss
- Aloe vera can be consumed along with lemon and honey. This blend acts as a detox that cleans the intestines and ensures a healthy bowel movement. This recipe is mostly consumed in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Aloe juice along with cucumber and pineapple makes it a perfect afternoon drink. Cucumber hydrates the body, whereas pineapple aids digestion.
- Aloe vera juice, when consumed along with ginger, as ginger tea has a lot of health benefits can be very beneficial as it prevents fluid collection in the body. A mixture of ginger in boiled water along with a tablespoon of aloe vera juice not only aids weight loss but also is anti-bacterial.
Aloe Vera for Hair
Besides acting as a natural moisturizer for skin, the health benefits of aloe vera for skin include strengthening of hair, reduce irritation on the scalp by fighting dandruff, repairs hair strands, cleans oily hair.
Aloe vera promotes healthy hair and increases the strength of the hair strands. Raw aloe vera, when applied directly to the scalp, reduces the dryness, cleans dandruff, and makes your hair extra smooth and shiny.
Here is a simple yet effective aloe vera recipe for hair:
- Cut an aloe vera branch or a leaf (it is always best to use natural aloe vera for hair)
- Wash the leaf and extract the gel within using a spoon or a knife
- Blend the gel completely in coconut or olive oil
- Apply the raw mixture directly to the scalp
- After an hour wash the hair thoroughly using a desired shampoo
- Repeat the process twice a week
Also read, Health benefits of Green Tea for skin
Aloe Vera for Acid Reflux
Aloe vera produces a soothing effect among people who are suffering from acid reflux and heartburn problems. Since more than 90% of aloe vera is water, it is believed to be a natural and equally effective treatment for acid reflux when compared to similar drugs that treat acid reflux and heartburn.
The polysaccharides present largely in aloe vera boost the immune system. They do so by slowing down the inflammatory cascade which helps the blood cells to establish a good defense system in the body.
Aloe Vera for Constipation
The natural laxative properties present in aloe vera help fight constipation, which has been one of the most common problems a majority of us are facing in the modern age. The rich compounds help build a stronger digestive system are found abundantly in aloe vera.
Side Effects of Aloe Vera
All though there are a lot of health benefits associated with aloe vera plant, there are a few side effects of aloe vera which have to be looked into.
- The latex property of aloe vera may cause stomach irritation and lower potassium levels in the body if not taken appropriately.
- Not everyone has similar skin types, hence few people may develop irritation, allergies, and rashed by using aloe vera.
- Aloe vera intake for weight loss may result in lower sugar levels due to its laxative property. This may affect people with diabetes. Hence it is necessary to consult a doctor before going ahead with aloe vera products.
- Excessive use of aloe vera for beauty such overconsumption may cause stomach discomfort, which is the most common side effect of aloe vera.
Also read, Side effects of Moringa Leaves